Date: 4th May 2006 at 6:09pm
Written by:

Peter Coates has threatened to withdraw his offer to buy Stoke City if the Icelandic majority shareholders do not accept it now.

He told the Sentinel that ‘the deal is off if I don’t get an answer today.’ in a dramatic attempt to try and drag a final decision out of the Icelanders. He continued, ‘it is not a case of me trying to hold a gun to their head, it is a case of a decision being needed now if we are to prepare properly for next season. There is so much work to be done, but if we leave it any longer we have missed the bus.’

He also revealed: ‘My second offer has been with them since a week last Friday – and still I have heard nothing. Time is getting on and neither myself nor the club can wait any longer.’

We agree with his stance 100%. The club, fans and players are just in limbo at the moment and this must be resolved (one way or another) as soon as possible.

The delays appear to be caused by a disagreement amongst the Icelandic shareholders with some (including major shareholder, Magnus Kristinsson) keen to sell and others yet to be persuaded. It has already been reported that there is a board meeting in Iceland today (Thursday) and hopefully this will finally produce a decision.