Date: 22nd October 2014 at 12:46pm
Written by:

Stoke City secured a hard fought and controversial victory over Swansea through a late winner from John Walters.

The Potters showed three changes from their lacklustre defeat at Sunderland last time out with returns for Erik Pieters at left back, and for Mame Diouf and Stephen Ireland in a very attacking Stoke line up.

But they started slowly in truth and Swansea could have twice taken the lead in the first 10 minutes when firstly the dangerous Gylfi Sigurdson broke free only to lose his balance when taking the ball past Begovic, followed by a flowing move that resulted in a sharp save from Begovic after Ki was played clear.

This sparked the home side into life as Charlie Adam showed a turn of pace rarely seen in his Stoke career until now, as he ran 60 yards before driving his shot slightly wide of the post.

Referee Micheal Oliver first big decision came as he missed a blatant pull on Crouch’s shirt as he looked to get on the end of a Victor Moses cross, but he would have no such issue 10 minutes later as the visitors took the lead.

From a Swans corner Oliver warned Shawcross for holding but the Stoke captain refused to accept the warning and continued to hold and Oliver pointed to the spot. In truth their can be few complaints but it remains to be seen if consistency will be followed and more penalties will be awarded in the coming weeks.

Bony confidently stepped up and sent Begovic the wrong way from the spot to give the visitors the lead, and this sparked the Britannia crowd into life through the frustration they felt towards the referee.

Referee Oliver’s was pointing to the spot once more less than ten minutes later when, Moses burst into the box from the left flank. He hit the deck as Rangel came in to challenge him and although it seemed the on-loan Chelsea winger might have gone down a little easily; Oliver saw it as a foul. Adam made no mistake with the spot-kick, and the team went in level at half time.

The second half began quietly until a Moses corner evaded everyone apart from Crouch who somehow headed over from 6 yards with the goal at his mercy.

The Swans would have a chance as a free kick came in and the ball fell to Ki 6 yards out, but a combination of Begovic and Wilson kept the scores level.

Mark Hughes made some bold changes with Cameron, Assiadi and Walters all coming on to try and swing the game in the Potters favour and the Stoke boss must have been delighted with their impact in the winning goal.

Cameron stole the ball in central midfield before releasing Assiadi on the left who cut inside to centre for Walters to place an exquisite header in from the penalty spot for his first of the season.

Swansea pushed for a leveller at the end, but efforts from Ki, Bony and sub Gomis were unsuccessful as the Potters held on for a valuable three points, which lifted them into the top half of the table and secured a second successive home victory.