Date: 28th April 2015 at 9:13pm
Written by:

The Potters played out an entertaining 1-1 draw against relegation strugglers Sunderland on Saturday at the Britannia Stadium.

Mark Hughes made one change from the side that beat Southampton 7 days earlier with match winner Charlie Adam rewarded for his fine cameo by replacing Glenn Whelan in centre midfield.

But it would be the visitors who would start the better and take a shock lead. A routine delivery into the box looked simple for Begovic who let the ball squirm away from him and into the path of the grateful Connor Wickham who poked home into an empty net inside the first minute.

Begovic form continues to represent a concern for Stoke, and the continuing talk of a transfer away it can’t be helping the keeper.

Stoke did respond well though as John Walters saw his low shot well saved by Costel Pantilimon, before Stephen Ireland’s shot deflected just wide of the Sunderland goal with the keeper stranded.

But Sunderland had a great chance to double their lead when Defoe escaped the Stoke defence, but his first touch took him too wide and from a tight angle he could only fire the ball into the side netting.

The visitors were made to pay shortly after when the Potters drew level. Neat link up play between Arnautovic and Walters led to the ball breaking to Charlie Adam on the edge of the box who rifled the ball into the roof of the net on his so called ‘weaker’ right foot, so the teams went in level at the break.

The visitors came out the stronger of the two teams after the break, and should have retaken the lead. Firstly Wickham disposed a lazy Wollschield, only to see his path to goal stopped by a wonderful last ditch tackle from Shawcross. Moments later Billy Jones jinked his way through the defence but Begovic this time made a smart save with his feet.

Stoke needed a response and it came from a free-kick floated in by Adam. Diouf controlled well and his strong shot appeared goalound but it cannoned off Pantilimon and away to safety.

The highlight of the day came shortly afterwards when Peter Odemwingie made his long awaited return for the first time since August, and it seemed to spur Stoke on as they dominated possession in the last quarter of the game.

There was still time for a final chance an it was Charlie Adam who again provided it. His long range strike looked destined for the top corner, but the giant keeper stretched to pluck the ball out of the top corner and away to safety.

The point leaves the Potters in ninth place three points behind Swansea who they visit in their next league game on Saturday in a match which will go on a long way to deciding who will win the battle for 8th place.