Date: 23rd November 2014 at 10:36pm
Written by:

Danny Ings earned Burnley a vital 3 points away from home for the first time since April with an impressive brace against struggling Stoke. Both teams had come into the game full of confidence following a victory away at Spurs for the Potters, and a first victory back in the Premier League for Burnley against Hull, yet it was Burnley who made their chances count to leave Staffordshire with 3 points to take them off the bottom of the table.

After a relatively decent first 12 minutes from the hosts, Stoke capitulated within the space of 2 minutes to effectively hand the victory to the travelling Clarets. Marc Muniesa stepped in for an unfit Erik Pieters to slot in at left back, and his first main part of the game was to poorly lose the ball in his own 3rd of the pitch. The ball was then switched to an on-fire Michael Kightly, who turned Potters right back Phil Bardsley inside out and drilled the ball into the middle. Begovic, on his 6 yard line decided to parry the ball straight into the path of the in-form Danny Ings who cooly slotted home into what was effectively an empty net.

Before the travelling fans had chance to calm down from the first goal, Burnley managed to double their lead, through almost a carbon copy of the first goal. A throw in for the travelling Clarets came on Stoke`s right hand side within 60 seconds of the restart, and Phil Bardsley again lost Kightly who yet again, smashed the ball into the box for Ings to tap home. The Britannia was stunned and silenced, the only noise that could be heard from the pitch was Shawcross screaming at his players and telling them to wake up. 2-0 down after 13 minutes, and it looked like this game could have been a rout. Burnley had 2 chances and took them both brilliantly.

For a while, the game went a bit flat, until Stoke managed to pull one back. After a Stoke corner was headed out, Bojan reacted quickest to it and took the ball down with an exceptional touch about 35 yards out, turned and curled the ball into the box for Stoke`s top scorer Jon Walters to dive in and head the ball past Tom Heaton in the Burnley goal. Walters reaction was a testament to his character, as he tried to rally the troops again to get something, anything from this game.

Early in the second half, Victor Moses went down with yet another injury to his thigh and had to be replaced by the out-of-form Marko Arnautovic. Without the pace down the left wing, Stoke seemed to stutter and seem unable to break down Burnley`s 10 man defence. Between Burnley settling for 2-1 after half time, and goalkeeper Tom Heaton`s frankly absurd time-wasting activities, Stoke were never going to get anything from the match. Arnautovic`s crosses weren`t on par and most went out for throw ins, Crouch couldn`t get on the end of any ball and most of Stoke`s attack and attempts were either well off target or were easily dealt with by Burnley`s defence. The only other effort of any note was a cross that came in from Bojan, headed towards goal by Crouch but went narrowly wide with Steve Sidwell desperately trying to get something on the ball before it went out.

It was a good victory for Burnley, and a bold statement from Sean Dyche who lifted Burnley off the bottom of the table. Stoke however, things aren`t looking great as they now play Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal all in the space of a week.